Monday, October 13, 2008

A Year Gone By





So I've been cleaning up the house and still recovering from Annsley's 1st birthday party on Saturday. Whew! We had a ton of people here and what felt like a million kids!! It was so much fun, but I was definitely wiped out after the front door finally shut for the day.


As I've been putting together new toys, trying to find space for them!, and deflating sinking balloons, I've actually found myself getting a little sad. Maybe it's not sad, just sentimental. I mean, my baby is one. And technically, she's now a toddler, not a baby, but as they say, she'll always be MY baby. But I feel like she was just born yesterday. I can't believe it, but I really do believe I've done everything I could to preserve and enjoy every moment of this first year. I considered her party also a party for me and Bobby, celebrating our first year of parenthood. It's a big job, and I know we've just begun, but I feel very proud of our accomplishment.


I also realized at Annsley's one-year check-up this morning that this next year will probably be even more challenging, as we're heading into no bottles and disciplining. Yikes.


But as I sit here, I feel like this is a bittersweet moment. She's growing up so fast. And I can see already that I have a very independent child on my hands, which in so many ways is such a good thing, except in those moments when I just want to snuggle with her. In some ways I miss her being a brand new baby, and today was especially sentimental because this was the exact day last year that we brought her home from the hospital and experienced our first night at home with our new member of the family. But a bigger part of me really enjoys the age she is now, exploring everything around her, learning new words and finding her sense of humor :0)


I'm very much looking forward to what this next year will hold. I'm really excited to watch Annsley continue to grow, and everyday I love her more. I love watching Bobby fall more and more in love with his little girl, and I love his face when she squeals as he walks through the door. Our baby is one lucky little lady. I love you, Annsley. I'm so thankful for this love-packed year, and I'll never take for granted every day we get to watch you grow.

2 comments:

Angela Dell said...

The years do fly by faster than I would like too. My babies are 4 and 2 and it seem like Grace (who I literally have a conversation with) ws just my little slug baby yesterday.
I cried when Ben rode his bike (yes i mean a big boy bike, no tricycle) we got him for his birthday. In that moment as he pedaled his "choo choo bike" as he calls it, it hit me, we don't have babies anymore we have kids and it was bittersweet all in the same moment. Annsley's adorable Jill!

Erica said...

I can totally relate. I am about to celebrate Brea's 4th birthday and I can still remember taking her everywhere I went when she was a baby. I miss those days terribly, but I am so thankful for who she has become. It is also fun to watch Brooke learn things at a different rate than Brea did...seeing as she has a big sister to show her the ropes. Sometimes, I will catch a glimpse of Brooke and think it is Brea...as in my mind, she is still my little girl toddling around the house.
Annsley is precious and she is very blessed by 2 awesome parents!

Remember...

Life's too short for sensible shoes.