Sunday, February 10, 2008

Holy Crap

I've become increasingly frustrated with the "church" over the past few years. I'm so burdened for families of ministry. I've seen it over and over, the price that family members of ones in ministry have had to pay. I can almost see Satan's sly thinking...let's see...adultery and sexual sin aren't having the same effect anymore...let's spice things and make pastors believe they're living above reproach by doing all the right things. But, the key word becomes "doing." In this case, too much of a good thing can be the most detrimental. So many pastors are pouring so much of themselves into "God's work" that they're missing out on all the other arenas of life...namely their families. I've seen it in families close by and around the country. It's becoming an epidemic.

Unfortunately, the Enemy plays tricks on families in the meantime. I've struggled so many times with feelings of being an unsupportive, almost un-Christian wife because I'd just like to have Bobby's body AND mind away from the church for 2 seconds. Because I need more time and attention from my husband, I suddenly begin to feel guilty for standing in the way of "God's work." And herein lies what has become my constant fight. The moment I first chucked his cell phone across the room, I knew this was becoming a battle.

It has to stop. I don't want to be this person that I feel like I've had to be in order to force time together. I know it's not the answer...But we're due for a change that's coming very soon. It's time to do church differently. It's time for families to rise up together in ministry, not ride the coattails of their exhausted husbands and daddies. It's time for balance. It's time to know--and live--the difference between God and church work, because the line has become blurry. It's time for marriage and family to become priority. This is the way God desires for things to be. This is where we will begin to see success and blessing in ministry.

1 comment:

Nic-Kaa7 said...

Jill... wow when i first read this i thought i could not put my self in your shoes at all... me being not a "wife to the church" but as a mother i couldnt dream of sharing the spot light with so many people. You jill, your very strong, way stronger than i could ever be and you should'nt worry i know the world could crumble at your feet and still u could hold all you have on your plate high up to blance it all. The fact that you come and say that this is not what you thought it would be. Instead of standing in the shadows, with a fake heart about it all, shows you will be able to combine the roles of an everyday mommy/wife and the mommy/wife of the church. So just stay strong! I belive in you. P.S. Thats the first time i've seen your darling daughter she is beyond beautiful!

Remember...

Life's too short for sensible shoes.