Sunday, April 20, 2008

Kryptonite

So I'm coming off of being sick - and I mean violently sick - for the past couple days. And something I realized is that when you're a mom, being sick is not just inconvenient, it's impossible. There simply isn't time to be sick.

When Bobby got sick first, I have to admit, I was less than sympathetic. I attributed it to his constant IBS symptoms, and I passed it off as his 'lesson to learn.' I was getting on him about eating food he knows will set him off....But then, 12 hours later, it hit me like a brick. And it wasn't pretty. What started as a merciless roll of my eyes became an apology and a plea to take the pain away. Looks like the Chinese food attacked both of us.

So, not only did I feel like I was just hit by a bus, but I was then overcome with guilt for not being what my baby needed. Thank God for my parents who came and rescued her for the night, as Bobby and I were completely non-functioning. But even though I knew it was best for her - and us - it ripped my heart out.

Then came the calling in to work the next day, followed by not being able to go to the dinner we had planned, followed by the house completely going to shambles. Being sick requires time -and sleep - to get better, both luxuries that have become foreign to me, especially since little Annsley came into our lives.

But I made it, and everyone is better and back on track. Things I learned: 1) Be more compassionate about Bobby's intestinal issues. 2) Don't be so hard on myself - I'm not Superwoman and no one expects me to do it all. 3) I will not be eating Chinese food for a VERY long time.

No comments:

Remember...

Life's too short for sensible shoes.